Saturday, February 02, 2013
PATLS National Conference on Library Education
Happy 49th Founding Anniversary of the Philippine Association of Teachers of Library and Information Science (February 28, 1964)! Only a year away to its golden anniversary!
PATLS invites you to attend the National Conference on Library Education and Practice on February 22, 2013 at 8:00 am – 5:00 pm at Ortigas Foundation Library, 2nd flr., Ortigas Bldg., Ortigas Ave., Pasig City. The theme of the conference is “Staffing the First Quarter of the 21st Century Libraries”
Rationale : Labor and employment statistics indicate that almost 95% of baby boomers in the library profession will retire between 2010 and 2020 so that labor shortages will affect not just academic libraries but also public, school, and special libraries. A wave of retirements could be devastating to the field but could provide an opportunity to revitalize their services by recruiting and training new professionals to respond energetically to the changing needs of library customers.
Objectives: At the end of the conference, the participant should be able to:
1. understand the effects of baby boomers retirements;
2. realize the new skills needed for the next generation of librarians; and to
3. visualize the framework of a succession plan to ensure a smooth transition for the new leader in the library
Topics are :
1. The effects of Baby Boomers Retirements in the Library Profession - Dr. Juan C. Buenrostro, Jr., B.U.; U.E.
2. The new skills needed for the next generation of librarians in the 21st Century - Dean Johann F. Cabbab, U.P., SLIS
3. Succession planning in the library - Prof. Rhea Apolinario, U.P., SLIS
Conference fee (Includes morning snacks & lunch plus certificate of participation)
P 700.00 for non-PATLS member
P 600.00 for PATLS member
P 200.00 for Undergraduate student
Please extend same invitation to our professional colleagues, students, librarians, teachers of LIS, in your institution. Thank you very much!
The officials, board of directors & members of PATLS will be very happy to see you on their important occasion. God bless!