Thursday, April 27, 2017
Call for Nominations: 36th National Book Awards
Info Source: NBDB website
The National Book Development Board (NBDB) and the Manila Critics Circle (MCC) are pleased to announce the opening of the 36th National Book Awards.
All NBDB-registered publishers and self-published authors are invited to submit their nominations for the best books published by Filipinos in 2016. Deadline for submission is May 31, 2017, (Wednesday), 5:00 pm. Nominations mailed from outside Metro Manila will be accepted if postmarked May 31, 2017.
A book is eligible if it complies with all of the following:
i. has an ISBN;
ii. published by an NBDB-registered publisher or self-published by an NBDB-registered author (valid until April 30, 2018); and
iii. published in 2016 (if in English or Filipino) or from 2014 to 2016 (if in Waray).
For complete information, the 2017 National Book Awards Nomination/Selection Criteria can be downloaded here.
Among the revisions in this year’s guidelines are the following:
· Young adult and children’s literature entries are excluded from the awards;
· NBDB-registered authors may nominate independently only self-published titles with ISBN;
· Titles submitted this year may only be in the following languages: English, Filipino, and Waray;
· Titles nominated for the Graphic Literature category will not be categorized according to language;
· Publishers of titles chosen as finalists shall be required to submit an additional two (2) copies of the books to the NBDB.
Steps in nomination:
1. Accomplish a letter of nomination (see template here) and nomination form (download here) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Subject Line: 2017 National Book Awards – Nomination)
2. As supporting document, attach evidence of agreement by the author. This can be a conforme signed by the author* (see conforme template here) or a notarized warranty/affidavit by a responsible officer of the publishing house stating that permission from the author* whose work is nominated has been obtained (and affidavit here).
*For titles nominated for Anthology, replace “author” with “editor.”
*For titles nominated for Translation, replace “author” with “translator.”
4. Attach a copy of NBDB Certificate of Registration;
5. Provide eight (8) copies of each book;
6. Submit all requirements to:
Office of the Executive Director
National Book Development Board
Unit 2401 Prestige Tower, F. Ortigas Jr. Road,
Ortigas Center, 1605 Pasig City
Subject: The National Book Awards 2017
For the succeeding years of the NBA, the following are the regional languages to be featured:
2018 – Maranao; and
2019 – Maguindanaon.
For further inquiries, please contact the NBDB Secretariat through Debbie or Gretel at telephone number (02) 929-3887 local 804 or e-mail email@example.com.